ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT POSITIONAs well as being committed to increasing economic opportunities for all Americans, I strongly believe that the private sector - - not the government - - is the engine of economic growth. Nevertheless, I am convinced that the government can and should help the private sector to increase economic opportunities for Americans living in our nation's poorest neighborhoods by providing financial incentives to businesses located in empowerment zones and enterprise communities.
- Support of economic policies which will increase opportunities for all Marylanders
- Utilization of resources at the state level to assist local communities by making the bureaucracy user-friendly
- Reduction of the time required for industries to move to an area by building spec buildings
- Slush fund availability to assist troubled businesses to remain in operation
- Improvement of old buildings in dilapidated areas
- Support for reserves to maintain Triple A Bond Rating
- Provision of performance grants to empowerment zones for job creation and job-related activities
I maintain that we must continue to provide meaningful job opportunities for willing and able bodies within the district, especially in those areas in which there is a high unemployment rate.
- Provision of work opportunities by the school through involving employers in helping to shape the school curriculum so that young people coming out of the school system will be better prepared to work
- Continued assurance that tax benefits exist to areas identified as state - approved enterprise zones
- Development of a method to connect unemployed and underemployed persons in the district with jobs in Ocean City and other surrounding areas
- Promotion of job training activities
- Promotion of tax incentives to businesses that hire the hard-to-employ
Return to Rudy's Main Page
(authority William T. Dennis, Treasurer)